Re: Cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines.

I upgraded, and it didn't help.

under pdksh:

CMCDEVITT> test.ksh
Memory fault (core dumped)

CMCDEVITT> test.ksh
Test Failed......Path is empty

This is with Cygwin1.dll  1.5.9              (build time 2004-03-18 23:05)
from www.cygwin.com/setup

Larry Hall <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com>
04/06/2004 05:40 PM
Please respond to Cygwin List

        To:     Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt@ABINITIO.COM>, cygwin@cygwin.com
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded
machines.

At 05:17 PM 4/6/2004, you wrote:
>I've been running into a lot of problems with Cygwin on hyperthreaded
>machines, when those machines are heavily loaded.
>
>For example, if I run this script:
>
>#! /bin/ksh
>mypath=$(pwd)
>while [[ ! -z $mypath ]]
>do
> mypath=$(pwd)
> if [[ -z $mypath ]]
> then
>  echo "Test Failed......Path is empty"
> fi
>done
>
>in one shell, while running a large make in another, it will fail in a
>variety of ways.
>Under pdksh, it sometimes exits the test because "mypath" is empty, or it

>core dumps, or hangs, or gives error messages.
>Under bash, it hangs, crashes, or gives error messages (haven't seen it
>exit the loop, but I didn't try long with bash).
>By "hang", I mean the shell stops using CPU time, and become
>non-responsive, and can only be stopped by killing the process.
>The problem does not occur if hyperthreading is turned off.
>
>I've attached the output from cygcheck.
>

>Here are some example runs:
>
>#####Using pd KSH:
>
>CMCDEVITT> test.ksh
>Memory fault (core dumped)
>
>CMCDEVITT> test.ksh
>1861 [exiting thread] ksh 3260 cygthread::stub: erroneous thread
>activation
>
>CMCDEVITT> test.ksh
>Memory fault (core dumped)
>
>CMCDEVITT> test.ksh
>Memory fault (core dumped)
>
>CMCDEVITT> test.ksh
>   2259 [exiting thread] ksh 2644 cygthread::stub: erroneous thread
>activation
>
>#####Using BASH:
>
>CMCDEVITT> bash test.ksh
>3 [exiting thread] bash 3752 cygthread::stub: erroneous thread activation
>test.ksh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Please update to Cygwin 1.5.9 and/or try a recent snapshot and report
back.

Holliston, MA 01746