Re: errors coming from building from scratch

> Perhaps I'm missing something obvious but it seems to me that the real
> question is why automake is installing things with the incorrect
> permissions for you.  Is there a reason you're not focused on this issue?

Well, as a quick workaround I am focused on this issue (I install my own hacked
version of automake) but there are two reasons why I think 777 perms is a bad policy
to follow:

    1) I think its going to be a hard issue to sell automake on the necessity
       of making cygwin behave totally different from any other environment,
       and make a kludge to have arguments to install for cygwin be 777
       by default.

    2) down-the-stream packages don't necessarily use automake - they've
       already got generated Makefile.in or configure scripts which have 644
       hardcoded. Asking users to get a new version of automake and regenning
       things using automake is too much to ask IMO.

    3) imo - philosophically its just wrong to require execute permissions
       for the libraries. the program links with the libraries to use the
       libraries functionality, it doesn't 'execute the library'.

Its not a question of whether or not I can hack around stuff, I can and will,
its a question of how clean people want the building process to be, and how
useful the tools are. As well as how close they mimic other unixes.

Ed