RE: zsh and line breaks

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Dave Korn wrote:

Hi Dave,

> [...]

It's always interesting to see how people solve the same problem using a
different style.  Yes, I'd though of using a wrapper macro, but decided I
didn't want to change mainline code that much.  I'm really looking for
something that's pretty non-intrusive.  Corinna just emailed a possible
solution, which may be the best yet because it works at a lower level and
wouldn't require all of those 43 open calls to be changed!

> > The primary problem is with running scripts with CR/LFs.
> > That gets fixed
> > with adding O_TEXT everywhere.  A secondary problem is with redirected
> > input and/or output which is processed by the shell.
> >
> > I've been reviewing this problem and I think maybe I've been
> > attacking it
> > incorrectly.  I had though that adding O_TEXT everywhere
> > would solve this
> > problem.  However, the environment is complicating things :)
> >
> > Here's the deal:
>
> >  So where the file located in the filesystem
> > determines
> > the default handling of translation when opened as a text file.
> > This is for normal unix style coding of opens without any O_TEXT or
> > O_BINARY cruft.
> >
> > Now, adding an explicit O_TEXT or O_BINARY forces one mode or
> > the other,
> > ignoring the filesystem mount attributes.  The problem is, I
> > don't want
> > to force the mode,
> >
> > Thanks for listening.  Any suggestions are welcome.
>
>   Doesn't the POSIX standard specify something about shells should open
> stdin, stdout and stderr in textmode?  IOW, aren't you obliged to force the
> mode?

The posix standard specifies a textmode should be used, but says nothing
about what really constitues a "textmode".  Textmode means adding line
termination according to the platform definitions.  However, in the case
of Cygwin, I believe we are supposed to honor the mode of the filesystem
as much as possible, which means sometimes line termination has CRs and
sometimes it doesn't.  One thing is for sure: reading script files
directly must remove CRs.  Everthing else is up for discussion :)
I'm going to experiment with Corinna's idea and see what happens first.
If that doesn't work, I'll have to continue my analysis of what the code
does with those opened files.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>