RE: strange install problems

At 03:43 PM 4/1/2004, you wrote:
>FYI.  Problem solved!
>
>Our NT_Services group here changed some "start-up"
>scripts which were setting $HOMEDRIVE.  I just had to
>re-map that drive and cygwin started up correctly.
>
>I have a few questions.
>
>1.  $HOMEDRIVE for me is on a network share is this
>going to be a problem?

Not if that's where you want it.  Generally, a local
directory is preferable from a performance perspective
but it's not a requirement.

>2.  Shouldn't cygwin use something like $My_Documents
>as it's home?  This is mostly on a local drive for all
>windows installs.

Cygwin uses for your home directory whatever Windows says
is your home directory.   Cygwin gets this from '/etc/passwd'.
If you do a 'mkpasswd -d -u <your user name>', you'll see
what Cygwin will use as your home directory, as set by the
administrator of your domain.  If you don't want that, use
the '-p' option.

>3.  Does cygwin not build a /home/$USERNAME dir/path
>as part of it's install?  I did a complete install and
>expected it.  Before I uninstalled my previous cygwin
>install (which was installed a year ago) I did have a
>/home/$USER dir and that is what I backed up.

I think you're looking for this explanation:

<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg00111.html>

or see '/etc/profile'.  '/etc/profile' makes your home
directory if it doesn't exist.

>4.  If the answer to number 3 is No.  Can I just
>create a /home/$USER and copy my old /home/user there?

Sure.  Copy it where you like and need it.  Make Cygwin
see it where ever you want if the one it gets from Windows
isn't to your liking.