Re: Using gcc 3.3.3

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 01:59:13PM -0500, Larry Hall wrote:
>At 09:50 AM 3/14/2004, you wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>I have got Cygwin running on my windows XP pc, using gcc 3.3.1.  I
>>downloaded gcc 3.3.3 release, and managed to build it, however when I
>>tried to compile a windows application using it it compiled ok but gave
>>a linker error 'couldn't find crt2.o'.  It gave this error when I was
>>trying to compile with -mno-cygwin, which worked with gcc 3.3.1.  I
>>found that this file was in c:/cygwin/lib/mingw, but passing an option
>>on to the linker such as -Wl,"-Lc:/cygwin/lib/mingw" or other
>>variations on this didn't work.  However when I copied the crt2.o file
>>to c:/cygwin/lib, it worked! But then I read that -mno-cygwin wasn't
>>included on gcc 3.3.3.  So was this a fluke?  Or is there a standard
>>way to use gcc 3.3.3 on cygwin?
>>
>>Also if I used g++ 3.3.3 to compile but g++ 3.3.1 that came with cygwin
>>to link, it also works fine! Is it then actually using the benefits of
>>the more modern version?
>
>The gcc compiler suite for Cygwin contains patches to include the
>'-mno-cygwin' switch.  Since gcc 3.3.3 isn't part of the Cygwin
>distribution yet, you would need to patch your local version if you
>want this functionality prior to it's inclusion in Cygwin.

Actually, -mno-cygwin has been part of standard gcc for some time.  The
cygwin version of gcc does have some additional patches which make things
more robust but for gcc 3.4, these changes are all part of the base.

So, the bottom line is that -mno-cygwin should more or less work in
most versions of gcc.

cgf