Re: Problem of building Apache XalanC on cygwin

It would have been extreamely helpful for you to have shown what that
expanded to on the compile line as well as the errors reported for the
non-working case, but I'll take a WAG anyway.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, DS wrote:

> Hi all!
> I'm trying to build Apache XalanC .
> I use cygwin 1.5.7 , gcc 3.3.1 and make 3.8
>
> In our makefiles ( we are multi-platform C++ application ) we use nest
> structure:
>
> $(TARGET): $(OBJECTS)
> 	$(MAKE_SHARED) $(LINK_PARAMETERS) $^ -o $@
>
> (note , that link parameters are before "-o $@" section)

Or, more likely, note that "link parameters" are not after the objects
($^) you are linking.  If "link parameters" include libraries, this is
incorrect.

Library references are only used to resolve undefined symbols.  Before
there are objects, there are no undefined symbols.

> if I change it to:
>
> $(TARGET): $(OBJECTS)
> 	$(MAKE_SHARED)  $^ -o $@ $(LINK_PARAMETERS)
>
> it's working .
>
> Any ideas how can build with the first model ? XalanC is multi-paltform
> application and I can't chnage the makefiles so easyly.

If my suspicions are correct, it shouldn't work correctly on any platform
that way.  That's just wrong.

BTW, this is not Cygwin specific, so it is officially off topic for this
list.

HTH.

--
Brian Ford