Re: 1.5.7: Problems with german umlauts in bash/rxvt command line

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:35:23PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * Olaf Föllinger (2004-02-27 09:49 +0100)
> > I have trouble to show german umlauts in bash command line in rxvt.
>
> What about zsh (or another shell) and the standard Cygwin Console?

$ zsh
\[\e]0;\l \w\007\n\t \[\e[36m\] \[\e[32m\]\u@\h\[\e[33m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n$äöü
zsh: command not found: \M-d\M-v\M-|

Changes the problem fron shell to rsponse.

> > I get are the following values:
> >
> > $ \344\366\374
> > bash: äöü: command not found
> >
> > I have set the following in .inputrc
> >
> > $ less .inputrc
> > set input-meta on
> > set convert-meta off
> > set output-meta on
>
> This is the canonic way. Make sure that the file is sourced.

The file is sourced, without this it wouldn't show the escaped
sequences.

> But I
> have no problems here - although typing non-ascii characters in a
> shell doesn't make sense. The only use is showing files with ls or d -
> which is not a shell thing.

Final goal is to show the ? character rigth in vi and mutt. So I
thought the shell is a good start. Is it?

Gruss Olaf Föllinger

--
Olaf Föllinger
Berater