Re: Good news for cygwin ? Re: [smartmontools-devel]Windows port

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:44:20PM -0300, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> >>...which would make it not particularly good news for cygwin...
> >
> >Correct, but I consider it good news if you have Cygwin, don't
> >have MinGW, can't afford MSVC, and also want to make a native
> >Windows binary.
>
> "Don't have MinGW" doesn't make much sense.  If you are careful you
> don't need anything specific to MinGW to run binaries compiled with it.

I meant to compile, not run, so you don't need to install MinGW
from http://www.mingw.org/ , just Cygwin and any required
packages to use -mno-cygwin.

Not all people are going to install both to make a native
Windows binary that doesn't depend on cygwin1.dll, so it's nice
that Cygwin provides it.

> >>-mno-cygwin means "no cygwin" which means that cygwin is not involved
> >>in this port at all.  You used cygwin's compiler to build it but you
> >>cut cygwin out of the equation by specifying -mno-cygwin, making it
> >>essentially a native windows port like you'd get if you used MSVC.
> >
> >Yes, but that was only to provide a smartctl binary for non Cygwin
> >users.  smartd hasn't yet been ported by Christian because -mno-cygwin
> >and MSVC lack at least syslog.h, but it works with Cygwin.
>
> So you're talking about mixing binaries compiled with and without
> cygwin.  Hmm.

Where did I wrote that ? The -mno-cygwin smartctl is only
available because not all users are going to install Cygwin.
The Cygwin binaries (smartctl and smartd) compiled without
-mno-cygwin are in a separate package.

So, there's no reason for Cygwin users to install the
-mno-cygwin smartctl (which is in a separate .zip file) unless
they want to run it where Cygwin isn't installed.

Anyway, it does no harm (yes, I tested) to run the native
binary under Cygwin. It's like if you ran the native nslookup
or something.

I see -mno-cygwin is off topic. I should have avoided adding it
in my first e-mail.

> >May I ask why /bin/mail isn't in Cygwin ? Nobody volunteered ?
> >http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg00460.html doesn't
> >help.
>
> Basically it's because we thought you might need it and we're all
> really mean so we're purposely not including it.

No problem. I already compiled nail. I thought it wasn't
because his author named a file aux.c -
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg01021.html and
doesn't seem to like Windows.

--