[Runtime macro] Where can I find those stuffs?

I checked the header files of the cygwin includes, found out there are so
many different types of system headers...
A little confused about which version of the header is a better choice for
the program.

For example, I wonder if I shall include <stdio.h> in \usr\include or
<cstdio> in \usr\include\c++\3.3.1
I also find out there are so many macros such as __i486__, __i586__,
_M_IX86, _X86_, WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN, __USE_W32_SOCKETS... , etc. They are
not in the textbooks I bought. I bought "GCC The complete Reference" and
some c++ books, they do not mention so many variables. Can someone tell me
where I can find the information of those Macros?

Thanks

Alvyn