Re: Managed mounts and .exe files (Was Re: cp, install, and the .exe extension)

Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Robert R Schneck-McConnell wrote:
>> Hey, it might be interesting for managed mounts *really* to identify the
>> filenames "foo" and "foo.exe".  (Maybe they already do?)
>
> Huh?  What do you mean by "identify" here?  If you mean "equate", this
> most likely won't happen.  If you mean "differentiate", then that's
> already happening even on non-managed mounts (hence the need for special
> cp and install hacks).  If you simply mean that *cp* (and install) should
> not assume foo=foo.exe on managed mounts, then PTC. :-)

I mean, that Windows special handling of .exe be invisible on managed
mounts.  So "equate" in that the Cygwin filename "foo" might be
the actual file "foo.exe", but certainly not preventing a Cygwin
filename "foo.exe" as well (which might or might have the .exe extension
as an actual file).

This would require that the coding of filenames allow the Cygwin
filename to have an .exe extension, independently of whether the actual
file has the .exe extension.  Doubtless "chmod" would need to be able
to change the actual filename when a file is made executable.

As for install etc *not* assuming foo=foo.exe, that should be possible
just by making "stat" not perform the translation on managed mounts.
(Presumably Cygwin tools which perform special .exe handling, perform it
when they encounter a file which one can stat, but which returns "No
such file" on open.)

> FWIW, WinNT/2k/XP allow executables to not have a .exe extension.

I wasn't aware of it, and haven't been able to figure it out in a couple
of minutes of playing around and Googling.  How?

Certainly I observe that Cygwin executes .exe files differently; if I
rename a shell script to something.exe, it doesn't work very well at
all.

Robert