RE: SSH and Remote Key authentication

At 03:43 PM 2/15/2004, Norman Vine you wrote:
>Larry Hall writes:
>>
>> At 03:25 PM 2/15/2004, Norman Vine you wrote:
>> >Hi all
>> >
>> >I am trying to use SSH remote key authentication
>> >It appears as if the remote $HOST does not like
>> >the permissions on my home dir
>> >
>> >Any guidance appreciated
>> >
>> >$ cd ~
>> >
>> >$ ls -ld
>> >drwxr-xr-x+  21 $USER      None        32768 Feb 13 06:29 .
>> >
>> >$ ls -ld .ssh
>> >drwx------+   3 $USER      None         4096 Feb 12 13:49 .ssh
>> >
>> >$ ssh -v $USER@$HOST
>
>> >debug1: Remote: Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for directory /home/$USER
>> >                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> >

>> Sounds like a simple permissions problem on ~/.ssh/identity.  Your best
>> bet is to read up on openssh docs so that you're sure you get everything
>> configured correctly
>
>AFAICT I have the correct permissions on ~/.ssh/identity
>and the permissions on the $HOST files are identical to
>those that admin@$HOST uses to connect from a remote Linux machine
>
>$ cd ~
>$ ls -la .ssh/identity
>-rw-------    1 $USER      None          525 Feb 12 14:51 .ssh/identity
>
>Thanks

OK then.  I agree, that looks fine.  So since this is all the information
you've given, besides a possible implication that you can ssh to the $HOST
machine from a Linux machine, I can't really help much.  If you can ssh in
from a Linux machine, try comparing all differences between that machine
and the problem "box" and see if you can find what's missing.  You could
also turn on debugging on the server to help, though I think the message
you got already is pretty clear about what it thinks the problem is.  Check
the permissions real close (use 'getfacl' if you need to), read the docs -
Cywgin-specific and otherwise, and narrow down the potential problem areas.
If you find a Cygwin specific issue, I'd encourage you again to read and
follow the guidelines of <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> before consulting
the email list further.  But I still suspect that your problems aren't Cygwin
specific but rather installation-specfic, though information that
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html> asks for might indicate otherwise.  Feel
free to prove my suppositions wrong of course.

Holliston, MA 01746