Re: What kind of executable is zcat? Crashes from cmd.exe

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 03:46:44PM -0600, Ross Boulet wrote:
> >One other caveat I have found with using hard links (on an NTFS partition)
> >involves upgrades.  I changed the symlink for ksh.exe -> pdksh.exe to a hard
> >link.  When an new version of pdksh was installed, it resulted in two non
> >linked files.  I had the new version as psksh.exe and the old version as
> >ksh.exe.
>
> Huh.  I wonder why that happened.  I would expect setup.exe to just
> overwrite one file, resulting in the change being reflected in the
> linked copy.
>
> I'm no longer familiar enough with setup's internals to say for sure
> if that is what happening but it does appear that the file is being
> deleted.  That behavior could probably be changed with an appropriate
> PTC.
>
> cgf

AFAIK, setup has always behaved this way.  It first uninstalls the old
versions of all packages being upgraded (that's how the old pdksh.exe got
unlinked), and then installs the new versions (creating new files,
essentially).  It never did overwrite the file in-place.  Changing this
will probably involve radical modifications to setup's internal logic.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu