Re: XEmacs-21.4.14-2 consistently crashes

    Thomas> Until last week I was using 21.4.11 or so from xemacs.org, built with
    Thomas> whatever cygwin they used and it ran fine, so I was assuming a cygwin bug
    Thomas> here.

In which mode does it run ?

The following is copied from a header file in the XEamcs source tree,
windowsnt.h:

1. Keep in mind that there are two possible OS environments we are dealing
   with -- Cygwin and Native Windows.  Cygwin provides a POSIX emulation
   layer on top of MS Windows -- in particular, providing the file-system,
   process, tty, and signal semantics that are part of a modern, standard
   Unix operating system.  MS Windows also provides these services, but
   through their own API, called Win32.  When compiling in a Cygwin
   environment, the Win32 API's are also available, and in fact are used
   to do native GUI programming.

2. There are two windowing environments we can target XEmacs for when
   running under MS Windows -- Windows native, and X. (It may seem strange
   to write an X application under Windows, but there are in fact many X
   servers out there running on Windows, and as far as I know there is no
   real (or at least, that works well) networking Window-system extension
   under MS Windows.  Furthermore, if you're porting a Unix application to
   Windows and use Cygwin to assist you, it might seem natural to use an
   X server to avoid having to port all the code to Windows.) For XEmacs,
   there are various reasons people could come up with for why we would
   want to keep maintaining X Windows under MS Windows support.

That gives us four possible build environments.  I (Ben) build
regularly on fully-native-everything, Andy builds on Cygwin + MS
Windows + X Windows for windowing.

The build flags used for these divisions are:

CYGWIN -- for Cygwin-only stuff.
WIN32_NATIVE -- Win32 native OS-level stuff (files, process, etc.).
HAVE_X_WINDOWS -- for X Windows (regardless of whether under MS Win)
HAVE_MS_WINDOWS -- MS Windows native windowing system (anything related to
                   the appearance of the graphical screen).

Finally, there's also the MINGW build environment, which uses GCC
\(similar to Cygwin), but native MS Windows libraries rather than a
POSIX emulation layer (the Cygwin approach).  This environment defines
WIN32_NATIVE, but also defines MINGW, which is used mostly because
uses its own include files (related to Cygwin), which have a few
things messed up.

    Thomas> Do you know since when the FIXME comment below exists?

Sorry, no.

    Thomas> When I said the X version works fine, I actually lied. On exit it dies with
    Thomas> a fatal error(11) and the lisp backtrace

This has been reported in the review of the XEmacs package by Charles
Wilson, too. He stated that it's happening for him when not running
under Administrator account, but as a normal user.

I can confirm that it's not happening under Admin account, that's why I
never recognized it. By the way, the latest 21.5.16 XEmacs also crashes
under Admin account on exit, but I usually don't care cause I start
Xemacs once and then exit only when I shutdown my system.

    Thomas> The code fragment you mentioned only shows where the ill condition
    Thomas> is trapped, not where and why it occurs. Looks like I really have to
    Thomas> try to build a debug version myself, but that is pretty daunting :-)

If you find anything please report back or to the XEmacs-beta mailinglist.

    Thomas> Ciao
    Thomas> Tom

Ciao
  Volker