Re: Root (/) size problem\limitation?

Mark,

Please set your mailer to wrap long lines at a reasonable column.  Your
current setting makes your message very hard to read, especially in the
web archives (see <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-02/msg00319.html>).
More below.

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Mark Ewert wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been searching for an answer to this problem for hours (literally)
> and have not been able to find one in any of the Cygwin FAQs,
> documentation, mailing-lists, newsgroups or Google. So apologies in
> advance if the answer to this is obvious.
>
> I have installed Cygwin (latest version) on Windows 2003 in the default
> directory (c:\cygwin). The installation is on a mirrored 8GB dynamic
> NTFS volume with over 4GB's of free space after the Cygwin install. The
> problem is that when Cygwin installed, it somehow automagically created
> a disk partition (sda) of only 1GB in size which by default contains all
> of the installation. After the install I have less than 100MB's free and
> have not been able to figure out any way to increase the size of the
> root partition either as part of the installation or afterwards.
> Normally in Unix I could use fdisk or cfdisk to create new partitions
> (and move root) or expand root - but those tools are not available in
> Cygwin. If at all possible I'd like to either enable Cygwin to have a
> partition up to 3GB's in size. I could always create new cygwin folders
> either on the C:\ drive or other drives in the system and then
> move\re-mount /usr or other directories but I'd rather keep the install
> as close to standard as possible.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this? Is it a problem with Windows 2003 or
> is 1GB the maximum size of the Cygwin root? I'm surprised I wasn't able
> to find any reference to this problem anywhere so there's likely a very
> obvious answer to this (again apoligies if that's the case).
>
> THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
>
> Mark F. Ewert

FYI, Cygwin doesn't do *anything* with the filesystem.  Installing it via
the net installer (the recommended and supported way) doesn't create
partitions or resize them.  Even Cygwin's mounts are not real mounts, but
rather a path remapping mechanism.

Your message above doesn't make clear where you see this "sda" partition,
what tools you used to determine its size, etc.  You didn't say what
method you used to install Cygwin, or what version you've installed.

I suggest you read and follow the problem reporting guidelines at the link
below:

In particular, the output of "cygcheck -svr" (attached to your message as
an uncompressed text *attachment*) will provide most of the necessary
details of your Cygwin installation.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/