Re: performance under XP

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, R. Timothy Tomaselli wrote:

> hi --
>
> installed cygwin so that i could use the x-window emulation.
>  i have a dell 1100, 256m memory, xp home.
>
> the performance is so slow as to be unusable.  for example, dragging
> a window takes many seconds.
>
> any ideas?

Several.

First, please see http://cygwin.com/lists.html and post to the proper
forum.  This is an Xfree issue, so I have redirected this there.

Second, please see:

for information on how to submit a useful bug report.  This one was
lacking any detail and did not include the *required* cygcheck output as
an attachment.

For instance, what applications are you running?  Are they local or
remote?  If remote, what does the network look like between you and there
and what type of box is on the other end?  What window manager are you
using? etc, etc, etc...

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer