Re: howto build a debug version of a Cygwin package, and debug it

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Thomas L Roche wrote:

> Charles Plager: thanks for starting this thread, since I may also need
> to go down this road :-( However, please continue it under this more
> demonstrative Subject: line.

Switched the subject as per the above request.

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Charles Plager wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> >>I'm not particularly experienced at building large packages so I have a
> >>few questions:
> >>
> >>1) Do I just get the source from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/?
> >
> > No, you download the Cygwin source using setup.exe by checking the 'Src'
> > box for the package.  Note that by design of setup.exe, if you have a
> > version of the package installed, you can only download the source for
> > that version.
>
> Is there a way I can get the cygwin source (or binarys for that matter)
> for emacs 21.1.something?

Umm, I don't think so.  AFAIR, Cygwin emacs was only packaged starting at
version 21.2.

> >>2) Are there special cygwin build procedures?  When I typed 'configure'
> >>(a script that came with emacs), it simply said:
> >>cplager@pointyjr> configure
> >>checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
> >>configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `i686-pc-cygwin' systems.
> >>Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.
> >
> > Most Cygwin packages come with Cygwin-specific documentation that should
> > be in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/<package>-<version>.README for newer packages.
> > That README file should contain build procedures on Cygwin, the exact
> > configuration options used to build the binary package, etc.
>
> If the answer to the above question is no, would it be possible to
> "reconstruct" the cygwin source by using the build procedures for
> 21.2.11 on a 21.1.X release?

The above question being "are there special Cygwin procedures"?  I suggest
reviewing the README file to find out.  Also, there may have been
Cygwin-specific patches applied to 21.2.* that won't work with 21.1.X.
IOW, you can certainly try it, but be prepared to invest some effort.

> >>3) When past hurdle #2, how do I force a debug build? (simply
> >>'make DEBUG=yes'?)?
> >
> > Most likely that information will be in the Cygwin-specific README as
> > well.  If not, you could try setting CC="gcc -g" and CXX="g++ -g".  You
> > may also have to disable stripping of the executables.
>
> Again, pardon my ignorance, but what does "stripping of the executables"
> mean and how would I avoid it?
>
> Thanks,
>   Charles

It means stripping debug information out of the executables.  This could
happen in one of a few ways: by explicitly calling the "strip" utility, by
passing a "-s" flag to "install", or by passing a flag (which I can't
recall at the moment) to "ld" during linking.  If the documentation
doesn't shed any light on this, you'll have to figure out which method is
used to strip the executables and how to disable it.
	Igor
P.S. Many configures support the "--enable-debugging" flag.  I don't have
the emacs source, but perhaps someone else can
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu