Re: NFS

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Lauer Rainer wrote:

> I have installed the latest version of cygwin on my PC onto drive c:. I'm
> running Windows2000. The installation was done for ALL users. When I start
> the NFS-server I get the warning, that my version is running for a single
> user.
> I'm not able to set any share, even I've converted all links to SYSTEM. In
> the file /etc/exports I deliberately introduced a bug, but a restart of the
> service ( or new start after re-boot) doesn't report it. Hence, I've got the
> suspicion this file isn't taken into account at all.

Please read and follow <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, especially the
bit about attaching (as an uncompressed text *attachment*) the output of
"cygcheck -svr" on your system.  Another place to check for service errors
is the Windows Event log.

> When I try to edit the file exports from the command line, I've to change to
> the directory /etc, otherwise VI opens a new file.

This doesn't quite parse.  Do you mean to say that when you run "vi
/etc/exports", you're getting a new file, and when you do "cd /etc && vi
exports", vi opens the existing one?

> Trying out a different editor (gvim), the file is opened in C:/etc (not
> under C:/cygwin/etc).

This is expected behavior.  There is no gvim under Cygwin.  This means
that gvim is a Windows program, and won't understand Cygwin mounts.

> Somewhat I managed to screw up the installation despite of following the
> instructions to the letter.

Which exact instructions?  The ones in the README?

> Should I remove cygwin to re-install in a different way (maybe as admin).

Having administrative privileges does help in setting up services.
However, there should be no need to reinstall -- you can simply add your
user to the Administrators group temporarily to see if this is the
problem.

> How?
>
> Thanks in advance for your support.
> Reggies,