perlcc does not work on my cygwin-please help

perlcc does not work on my cygwin (win XP). I have tried to re-install
cygwin, read the assorted documents but can not figure out what is wrong.
It seems to be a very basic problem as it reports error of not finding some
file that are installed in my perl package. For example perl.h is not found.
The file is on my system at
/lib/perl5/5.8.2/cygwin-thread-multi-64int/CORE/perl.h. A place where cygwin
selected to install it.
I use mingw as the gcc compiler. It was recommended to install it not under
cygwin.
/cygdrive/c/pini_prog/MinGW/bin/gcc
bash-2.05b$ cygpath -w /
C:\pini_prog\cygwin

Please help me to get a clean installation. Is there a file that is a step
by step guide.
Many thanks,
Pinhas