Re: 'entrypoint __getreent missing' problem in the binary distribution files for Windows ! How to proceed, how to report the bug ?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Homar Simpson wrote:

> Please install the hole cygwin-distribution and you'll get these error
> messages.

The Cygwin distribution is not a hole. :-)  I assume you mean "whole".
FYI, I do have the whole distribution, as do many others, and I don't get
any of these messages.

> AND Rolf is right, it is existing a very long time.
> Remember my first posting to you, i was trying to explain exactly the same
> problems !!!

Which means there's something wrong with your installation.

> In my opinion, not all binary packages wasn't recompiled with the newest
> cygwin1.dll, so the problems with missing entrypoints only can solved with
> recompiling hole.

I think you're getting confused.  Older programs work just fine with the
newer versions of cygwin1.dll.  The problem you (and Ralf) described
occurs when you try to execute a *newer* program with an *older* DLL,
which can happen in one of three cases: 1) you did not upgrade your
"cygwin" package; 2) you had a running Cygwin process while upgrading and
your old cygwin1.dll could not be overwritten; and 3) you have more than
one cygwin1.dll on your system, and the older one is getting picked up
first.  The solutions in these situations have been discussed numerous
times on this list: for 1) you upgrade "cygwin", for 2) you reboot, and
for 3) you run a global search and remove any cygwin1.dll that's not in
/usr/bin.

Hope this helps,
	Igor

--