RE: regarding about i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11

  That looks wrong to me.  Most people would have those files in
/usr/X11R6/lib.  Most people don't even have a directory called 'cygwin' in
the root folder of their cygwin install.  I think you meant to say

> export CYGWIN_LIBX11=/usr/X11R6/lib

and you got a bit mixed up.

    cheers,
      DaveK