Re: simple newbie init question

At 10:26 AM 1/21/2004, Edward W. Rouse you wrote:
>I have installed Cygwin 1.5.5 on a Win2000 box. I included all of the
>packages, just to be safe. But I can't figure out where to add services
>to the init process. cygwin.bat starts the bash shell fine and I have
>set the PATH and some variables there.
>
>I want to start PostgreSQL and cvs only when I have the Cygwin session
>window open. Where do I put the commands? I have created a script to
>start and stop these services from the command line, but would really
>like to automate the process.
>
>I am more familiar with the way SuSE works and following the RedHat
>reference guide did not help. I searched the archives and the Cygwin
>documentation but didn't find anything that addresses starting and
>stopping services when using the bash shell.
>
>I did see someone mention a .bash-shutdown file. Is there also a
>.bash-startup file and where would it go? Or am I supposed to use the
>/etc/defaults/etc/bash.bashrc file?

This sounds more like a generic bash question than a Cygwin one but I'll
bite.  If you'll only ever have one window started from cygwin.bat open
at a time, just add the start-up to ~/.bash_login and the shutdown to
~/.bash_logout.  If you'll have more than one window open at a time, you'll
want to add some logic to avoid multiple attempts to start and stop these
services.

HTH,

Holliston, MA 01746