Is PERLIO=crlf recommended for Perl 5.8.0-3 and up?

I've been working through the past archives and discovered the change made to the default of PERLIO as of perl 5.8.0-3. Setting PERLIO=crlf solves my initial problems and all my scripts now run with the new version of perl. So far so good, but I am not sure if I should set PERLIO=crlf permanently in my environment or not.

I need my scripts work on either unix or windows cygwin systems, but not on a mixture. For instance, Modelsim is one tool I process the output of via perl scripts. If I am running on Unix, I run Modelsim on Unix and perl on Unix. If I am running on Windows, I run Modelsim on Windows and perl in Windows (via Cygwin of course). Now the Windows version of Modelsim outputs crlf endings while the unix version has just the lf.

So it seems to me that setting PERLIO=crlf permanently on Windows is *exactly* what I want, because then its behaviour matches Modelsim on which ever platform I have selected to run on. I can process either Modelsim output or output from another perl script on either platform without though to the line endings. But the original release announcement said this was not recommended.

I guess the alternative is to leave perl to access the files in binary mode and then modify the perl scripts to detect and account for what ever line ends it finds. Is that the recommended approach rather than using PERLIO=crlf?

Jason