Re: cygwin-1.5.6-1 Vim now broken

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:47:39AM -0200, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > >[snip]
> > >I guess it'd be a show stopper if screen were part of Cygwin.  Still, I
> > >think it's more important than Vim, as there are a dozen editors but no
> > >screen alternatives.

Screen needs a maintainer.  Plain and simple.  I posted a patch that made
it run (sort of) on Cygwin, but I don't use it, and thus don't really want
to maintain it.  A maintainer for screen would be someone who regularly
uses it and possesses enough programming and debugging abilities to be
able to submit useful bug reports, track why certain things don't work,
and maybe fix problems himself.  Any takers?

> > That's truly amazing logic.
> >
> > 1) Vim is probably the most popular editor in cygwin.
>
> And ? Would you care if it weren't part of Cygwin ?

Just as a data point: there was a lot of effort invested in fixing
problems that manifested in xemacs (which wasn't part of Cygwin, and still
isn't, AFAICT).

> > 2) It's a SEGV from cygwin.  It would be folly to ignore those.
>
> Yes, and with 1.5.6 screen is so useless that a SEGV would be
> helpful.

So, someone has to roll up his sleeves, dig into the code, set some
breakpoints, and figure out why things don't work.  That someone has to
care about screen and want it fixed (i.e., not me).

> > 3) As you note, screen doesn't even ship with cygwin.
>
> Yes, but screen probably has more users than various packages that ship
> with Cygwin. And it'd have many more if it were part of it.

See above.  I'd even venture a guess that screen will gather the necessary
three votes as soon as it's ITP'd (it'll have mine for sure).

> > >Anyway, I did what I could, reporting it before 1.5.6 -
> > >http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-12/msg00557.html .  I'm not
> > >complaining.  I also reported it to the screen mailing-list today as
> > >there are a few Cygwin users and one may be able to help you with it.
> >
> > "Help me with it".  Yeah.  That's one way to look at it.
> >
> > Why don't you help *us* with it by debugging the problem?  I don't
> > really care about screen but if it's important to you then some
> > hours with gdb might be in order.  That's what I do with problems
> > that I care about.
>
> Do you think all users are Cygwin developers and know how to
> debug such things ? I couldn't even debug the ELinks problem I
> had, where none of the commands (bt, info threads, thread 1...)
> that work on Linux showed anything useful. Now you suggest I
> spend some hours with gdb. Doing what ?

Setting breakpoints... :-)

> I guess it's easier to go through the snapshots from the first
> 2 months after 1.5.5. Are they available somewhere or tagged in
> CVS ?

No, snapshots aren't tagged (for that matter, neither are releases).  You
can use the date the snapshot was announced as an approximate tag (and
check out from CVS by date).  Examining the cygwin-cvs list around the
date of the snapshot might help rule out potential instabilities.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu