RE: running the latest cygwin on a windows 2003 server

Tip-of-the-day:  because a lot of cygwin problems manifest themselves as the
shell failing to start up, and the window vanishes too quickly to see what's
going on, my advice is:

 - start a command shell using Windoze CMD.EXE
 - cd <root directory of your cygwin install>
 - look at the commands in the cygwin.bat file, and enter them at the
   keyboard.

This way, if there's any error message, you'll have time to read it.  You
can also use strace on the bash command to look for further clues

   hth,
     DaveK