Re: running the latest cygwin on a windows 2003 server

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Stefan Zachow wrote:

> Igor,
>
> > What is the exact message you get when you try to run Cygwin programs
> > as another user?  Which exact programs fail?  Do all the programs fail
> > in the same way?
>
> Unfortunetly users that are not in the administrator group cannot even
> start a bash.  That's why I took an Administrative user to create the
> cygcheck output.  The bash appears very shortly as a frame and
> disappears immediately again.

How about when you start bash from a command prompt (i.e., open an "MS DOS
prompt" window, "cd c:\cygwin\bin", and ".\bash.exe --login -i") as a
non-administrative user?  What if you omit "--login"?

> > BTW, it would have been more helpful to get a cygcheck output
> > as a user for whom Cygwin doesn't work...  Also, check that all the
> > programs and the necessary DLLs are readable and executable by everyone
> > (instead of just you).
>
> The initial permissions for cygwin related stuff were
>
>    user: adminst
>    group: mkgroup
>    permissions: rwx for user and group only
>
> However, I changed these to: chmod -R o+ rX after installation

This may not have worked with "nontsec".  Also, any particular reason you
used "X" instead of "x"?

> 'mkgroup'  is strange. It seems that I cannot synchronize with
> our network databases. A mkgroup -u -d DOMAIN gives the
> following two lines of output:
>
> LookupAccountName (\\Host, Domain Admins) failed with error 1332
> LookupAccountName (\\Host, Domain Users) failed with error 1332

Hmm, maybe Pierre or Corinna can voice an opinion on this one.

> > I noticed you have "nontsec" set, so that might be what's hiding your
> > problem (all files look executable, but the actual ACLs don't allow
> > other users to access them, and you don't see that via "ls").
>
> I changed to ntsec as well - but no difference.

What does "ls -l /bin/bash" under an administrative account show?  How
about "getfacl /bin/bash"?

> > On an unrelated note, it's usually not a good idea to have /cygdrive/*
> > as a target for a mount.  If I understood correctly what you're trying
> > to do, simply connect to a network drive (using "net use", for
> > example), and assign the letter "W:" to it.  Cygwin will automatically
> > pick that up as "/cygdrive/w".
>
> Ah, OK. It wasn't clear to me that cygwin automatically gathers all
> shared network drives.

It gathers all drives, network or otherwise.  I don't think it cares. :-)

> > You might also want to investigate the "(no)smbntsec"
> > option in the CYGWIN variable (see the User's Guide).
>
> That's interesting, too. I haven't seen this one. But no change to
> my problem.
>    Stefan

This is for turning security on/off on network drives.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu