RE: deleting a file ending with a dot

> >   Maybe there's a problem with the perms on it?  What output do you
> > get from "ls -la file." and from "cacls file." ?
>
> ls: cachedmetrics.: No such file or directory
>
> I don't have cacls installed, but getfacl also says "No such
> file or directory".

> Thanks for the tip :) . All programs said that they cannot
> find such a file. Unlink returned ENOENT. When I click on
> "Properties", there is no file name in the window.

  Then it does sound like a filename with an illegal char in it; various
windoze versions do have problems with them, so it's maybe the case that
it's not actually a period on the end of the filename, but an unprintable
ascii char that ls and so on output as a period.  To test this theory, try
using "ls -b" to view any unprintable chars as octal.

  You could also try deleting it by pattern matching, such as "rm
cachedmetrics?".  Or have you tried dragging it straight into the recycle
bin from explorer?  Or entering a name in the blank filename space in the
properties sheet?  Or renaming it from command line, dos or bash, using
pattern-matching?

  I've had these sorts of files turn up once in a while.  They can be a
nuisance but I've always managed to get rid of them in the end with one or
other of the above sorts of solutions.

      DaveK