Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.

I've gotten my local Cygwin installation up to speed for this (openjade et
al.) but I'll probably be working on my Gentoo box at home (seeing as I only
have one Windows at my disposal at home, which does have Cygwin but which
I hardly ever use, I'll do as much as possible on my normal development box..)

I'll try to get things working so I can run `make' properly and will report
back when I've either gotten things going or have run into some really
blocking problem..

rlc

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:22:10PM -0600, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:46:12PM +0100, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> > I'd be happy to help out with the documentation. As for the documentation
> > build system: what do I need?
>
> As far as the Cygwin distribution goes, you need to have all the
> normal build tools (gcc,make,etc) and a couple you might not--
> libxml2 and rpm. Before the letters "R" "P" "M" scare people, let
> me digress. Up until now the Cygwin documentation has been built
> either on Linux or with custom Cygwin packages. (Note to you and
> to future list readers, this hopefully will change very soon--maybe
> as soon as we get Nicholas' openjade patches and can get it and the
> various DTD and stylesheets in the distribution.)
>
> The problem with installing custom packages is that you can get them
> confused with real ones and create a dependency mess as you attempt
> to move from custom to official packages. Right now on Cygwin all we
> have is custom packages for SGML docbook (which is what the Users' Guide
> and API Reference are written in). Nicholas mentioned that he'd been
> using Red Hat's SRPMs, so I thought I'd try that for the transitional
> phase. Just to be clear here, RPM is not becoming an official Cygwin
> installation method, and most RPMs you find on the Web will *NOT* work
> in Cygwin.
>
> That said, I've put up my hacked-together RPMs at:
>
> <http://ns1.iocc.com/~joshua/cygwin/RPMS/>
>
> Note that RPM has many features such as dependency management that I've
> deliberately ripped out of these, so don't get too excited.
> Note also that there is an openjade-1.3.1-1.tar.bz2 there. This was
> packaged about two years ago before there was trouble building openjade,
> so it's quite old, but works for our purposes:
>
> --------------------------snip---------------------------------------
> # 1. Get the files
> cd /tmp
> wget -m -np -nH --cut-dirs=3 http://ns1.iocc.com/~joshua/cygwin/RPMS/
>
> # 2. Never do this again--it's a very bad idea
> cd /
> tar jxvf /tmp/openjade-1.3-1.1.tar.bz2
>
> # 3. Install the hacked-together "dependencies" rpms
> rpm -Uhv /tmp/*rpm
>
> # 4. Install the actual docbook packages
> rpm -Uhv /tmp/docbook/*rpm
>
> # 5. Remove everything you've installed with rpm with one easy step
> #    onces we've got Cygwin packages together--no mess!
> rpm -e $(rpm -qa)
> --------------------------snip---------------------------------------
>
> Once you've got that, all you should need to do it type "make" in the
> winsup/doc folder of your Cygwin build tree. There are a couple of other
> things you might want to do:
>
> -comment out (with -- before and after) the "DTDDECL" statement in
> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/catalog
> This version of jade just hates the DTDDECL and complains loudly.
>
> -Change /usr/bin/db2html's shebang to "#!/bin/bash" since it uses
> bash-specific artithmetic syntax.

> [...]

"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?"
(By Matt Welsh)