Re: rsync/cygwin can't handle filenames with some character set

Actually, the problem I was having with rsync/cygwin and codepages was
caused by cygwin's modification of file paths, ie. some Japanese encodings
can cause a filename to have three backslashes (when viewed in Japanese it
doesn't of course) in it.

Cygwin seemed to be kicking in when it saw the backslashes to try and map
windows drive shares or something like that.

In the end I gave up and changed what I was doing to remain on linux and
ended up using cygwin only for the very final stage (it is an automated
backup system).