Re: mysqld on Cygwin

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

Hallo Andrew,

Am Dienstag, 13. Januar 2004 um 21:13 schriebst du:

Any chance we can get this packaged up for Cygwin? I found the following: http://anfaenger.de/cygwin-1.5/mysql/ courtesy of Gerrit P.Hasse and I've been using it without any problems. I just wish it was"part of Cygwin". What needs to be done to get it into Cygwin. I'd liketo help however I do not wish to steal any thunder away from Gerrit whohas apparently already done a fine job...

No, no, it compiles out of the box besides the patch because of the #pragma problem.

Not sure that parsed for me. It does compile out of the box or it doesn't? What's "the patch"? Also, I assume that #pragma is still a problem.

The rest in the patch which makes it really large is just the result from `autoreconf -f -i -v'. The heros are the guys at MySQL who wrote the stuff and the Cygwin developers and esp. the heros who wrote all the threads code for Cygwin!

The Cygwin guys have been my heros for quite some time now.

To make it into a Cygwin package, a little more work needs to be done:
1. Try to get it to compiled with the generic build-script out of the source tree.

I assume this means "get around/fix the #pragma problem" and "apply patch (if needed)" and resolve "really large".

2. Figure out how to install it as a service, write a setup-script to do it for Joe User.

Wouldn't the following work (doable in the post install scripts):

$ cygrunsrv -I MySQL -p /usr/mysql/bin/mysqld -f "MySQL for Cygwin"

Hmmm... I guess not. Two things I noticed:

  1. If you start mysqld by typing in mysqld you can't stop it! If you
     try mysqladm shutdown that doesn't work. If you kill it in
     TaskManager it restarts!
  2. There doesn't appear to be an option for mysqld to use with
     cygrunsrv so that it will go into daemon mode properly.

So I guess that that's what you mean by the above. We need an option to mysqld to tell it that it's running as a service and to respond to shutdown without it restarting itself. Then it can be put into the "Cygwin environment" properly as a Windows service via cygrunsrv.

3. Discuss which path layout to use.

Personally I'd like to see it such that if the vanilla user types mysql it works. This, to me, suggests that type -p mysql yields /usr/bin/mysql. I would install it under /usr/mysql and then symlink /usr/mysql/bin/<app> -> /usr/bin (e.g. ln -s /usr/mysql/bin/mysql /usr/bin/mysql). Of course we could say that things like mysqld might probably be better placed in /usr/sbin.

4. ...
5. ...
6. ...
7. Volunteer to maintain it, MySQL is popular and there will be lots of questions at the list (there are already lots of question, though it is not included in the distribution).

I think the questions should be limited to how to get MySQL for Cygwin up and running. As with other tools such as bash, for example, questions about it's usage would be considered off topic and questioners should be directed to places like http://mysql.com.
--
Happiness is merely the remission of pain.