Re: rsync/cygwin can't handle filenames with some character set

At 01:23 PM 1/9/2004, Rami Addady you wrote:
>It's cygwin patch, and I guess the problem occur in other applications
>allso.
>I don't thing I should ask for cygwin supprt in rsync mailing list.

There's no need to reply to me directly.  I've set the reply-to to go to
the list.  That indicates my preference and should be honored by your
email client.  Also, please don't quote your and/or others email
addresses in your replies.  They just become fodder for spam harvesters
that troll the email archives.

The references you gave in your original message were from the rsync
list and discussed a patch to rsync for Cygwin (of dubious general use
I'll admit but a patch regardless).  There was no mention of a patch
to anything in the Cygwin DLL or anything outside the rsync source,
which is why I suggested that you contact the OP of the described patch
on the rsync list.  He would certainly be able to provide this patch
and let you know if it was forwarded to the Cygwin rsync maintainer or the upstream rsync maintainer.  Certainly, if you believe there is a patch that
belongs in the Cygwin DLL to help with this, then some Cygwin list is
a better source, although as I said, the thread you pointed to doesn't
suggest this.  I'd recommend checking the archives for this list,
the cygwin-patches list and the cygwin-apps list for relevant messages
on this topic if you feel there was a patch that was submitted or discussed
within the Cygwin community.  If it was submitted to Cygwin, it would be
through one of these three lists.  Assuming no one else recalls the patch
and provides you with a direct pointer, that's your best bet IMO.

Holliston, MA 01746