Re: read-only mounts

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Rob S.i.k.l.o.s. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've searched the mailing list archives, but haven't found anything
> recent/relevant.
>
> Is there any way to create a mount point that is read-only by everyone?
>
> The reason I want to do this is because I want users logging in anonymously
> to my inetd ftpd to be able to access directories not under the ftp user's
> home directory.  The reason why I want to set read-only access at the mount
> table level (instead of the file level) is because I can't guarantee that
> various windows operations won't mess up the access bits.
>
> Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob.

Rob,

Cygwin mounts are basically a path translation mechanism, and as such
don't have access control.  However, why not use the Windows sharing
mechanism (SMB)?  IIRC, you can share out a directory as read-only, and
then mount something like \\localhost\ro_share...  This should get you an
extra set of ACLs that are stored in the share rather than in the regular
filesystem, so there's less chance that someone'll mess with that.

BTW, this is a Cygwin-independent solution, and thus OT for this list. ;-)
Just to make this slightly more on-topic, you can also use the nfs-server
Cygwin package to share out the directories (with separate access
control), and some sort of third-party Windows NFS driver to access it
under Windows.  Then mount *that* using Cygwin mounts, and you're on.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu