Re: Please try the latest snapshot -- it is close to cygwin 1.5.6

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:04:01PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 12:26:32PM -0500, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>>Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

>>>Yes, that works fine now, as does bash -c inetd.
>>>

>>Sorry to jump in on this, but I run into a few problems with the changes
>>you made last night and one issue which has been a problem for some time
>>now.
>>
>>This is on my Win2k box and all problems were noticed when I logged in
>>remotely via ssh (I have not tried locally).  If it makes any
>>difference, the /usr/src dir, where all my project and cygwin source is
>>contained, is a managed mount.
>>
>>Issues from yesterday's checkin:
>>1)When run by itself from the command line, `make` is not forking
>>properly for recursive makes, instead it aborts and returns a bogus
>>HANGUP signal to the console.  This is easily seen when attempting to
>>build the Cygwin tree.  I cannot provide any useful output since it
>>appears that calling the process from within gdb or through strace
>>actually keeps make from failing to fork, but make still screws up the
>>order of entry into subdirs.
>
>I routinely check correct cygwin operation by building cygwin so I can't
>reproduce this.
>
>>2)`procps auxf` incorrectly identifies top-parent processes as
>><defunct>, even though ps and the nt process monitor shows them to be
>>valid.  However, for postgres's postmaster, the parent and *all*
>>children are labeled as <defunct> even though I can confirm that the
>>server is up and running.
>
>A trivial test of this, which is to run "procps auwx" from a command prompt,
>does not demonstrate this here.
>
>>3)Running configure scripts using sh.exe (which is default when you
>>./configure) always hangs, whereas running them through bash.exe works
>>fine (although it does hang from time to time).  In either case, when it
>>hangs, doing ctrl-c will drop you to the command line.  However, the
>>process isn't terminated, like one would expect.  Also, it refuses to
>>obey any signal except SIGKILL.
>
>I don't use bash very often.  I use zsh or just the command prompt.  I
>can run 'sh /whereever/configure' just fine.
>
>>Existing issues since 1.5.5:
>>3)I find myself involuntarily "logged-out" of my sessions at random
>>intervals.  This is especially prevalent when doing massive recursive
>>`rm -rf`'s or `grep -rn`'s or any other form of intensive disk i/o.
>>However, whatever is causing it seems to be getting fixed, since this
>>happens less frequently then it used to.  A small kludge I use to get
>>around this is by running links.exe then using ctrl-Z to send it to a
>>stopped state.  Then if it tries to log me out, it will fail because I
>>have a stopped process.
>
>Again, I don't see this, so I don't know how it could be fixed.
>
>>4)lynx crashes on startup, dropping me back to the command line.
>>Running it through gdb, the segfault happens at line 81 of cygtls.cc,
>>"_last_thread->next = this" which is inside the function
> [...]

Btw, I should point out, that I am using the most recent version of
cygwin currently in CVS.  I didn't try this with the cygwin vintage that
this message refers to but I haven't made any changes which would cause
any of the above to work any better.

cgf