Re: snapshot cygwin1-20031212.dll.bz2 (with a very off-topic laptop aside)

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:21:50AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 02:53:33PM -0500, SMore@empirecorp.org wrote:
>>Here is the uname and stackdump from cygwin1-20031214.dll.bz2:
>>
>>CYGWIN_NT-5.0 Test 1.5.6s(0.107/3/2) 20031214 23:18:27 i686 unknown unknown
>>Cygwin
>>

>>Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=610865E7
>>eax=00000948 ebx=00409E30 ecx=610EFE64 edx=00000004 esi=00000014
>>edi=0022FB48
>>ebp=0022FB1C esp=0022FB00 program=C:\cygwin\bin\rsync.exe
>>cs=001B ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 ss=0023
>>Stack trace:
>>Frame     Function  Args
>>0022FB1C  610865E7  (0022FA94, 0022FA94, 0022FA94, 0022FB40)
>>End of stack trace
>
>Oh well.  Still not much help.  I am building a new snapshot which may
>provide a better stack trace on failure.  If you could run it and report
>the stack trace, it would be appreciated.
>
>Also, if you could send me a complete strace log that might be useful,
>too.

I just thought I'd vent a little about my attempt to debug this today.
I went to another person in my office (Hi Jay!) who has a laptop running
Windows 2000 with the intent of running rsync there.  His laptop was
out of date so I updated cygwin on it, which took a while.  When I
was finished updating it, I tried to rsync from my laptop* (purchased
with the help of some people here after a truely depressing history of
being scammed, saving more money, buying a laptop, having it shipped,
having it shipped back, having it shipped again, shipping it back,
buying a new one, and now...) only to find that my laptop had crashed.
On rebooting I got nothing but a blank screen.

So, I took everything apart and tried again:  still nothing.

Took everything apart again, swapped the SODIMMs and got the dreaded BIOS
beeping.  Took out a SODIMM and now it boots.

Which means now I have to wrangle with InternetIShop about getting a
replacement without sending my laptop back *again*.

I think I am very close to throwing myself off a bridge on this subject.
Having had exactly the laptop I wanted for three weeks and now having to
once again contemplate talking to obtuse tech support or sales people
or, worse, more of the non-responders...  well...  Let's just say I am
not in a good mood.  I wasn't an optimistic type of guy I would almost
think some higher authority didn't really want me to have a laptop like
this, even though it means I'm in the presence of my family more often,
which I would think would be a good thing...

Anyway, sorry for the atypical personal aside.  I am just so frustrated
by this that I could spit.  The laptop is working fine with half the
amount of memory and the amount that I have left (512MB) is something
I would have killed for a few years ago, but, despite that, the speed
degradation is still noticeable.

Blah, blah, blah.  Yeah, I know.  I'd lambaste anyone else who did this
but it does have something of a cygwin component since all of my super
secret test files and environment is on this laptop and, if it dies,
I'll be scrambing to recreate things from backup.

I know.  Still pretty lame...  I'll stop now.

cgf

*http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg00634.html