Re: Setup hangs in postinstall

Brian Ford wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Michael Robbert wrote:

Everybody,
Some new information I got today. I found another user on our campus
that is having the problem on two different machines, but not a third.
All of them running Windows XP. So far every machine I have seen it on
is running XP and is a recent new install of Cygwin. Does anybody think
that they could get closer to a solution if I were to provide you with a
machine to play with remotely where the problem happens every time?

Why not try to debug it your self?
Gladly, I just need to know what to do. I'm not a developer, just a lowly SysAdmin so I may need some hand holding.

Have you tried to strace it?
Yes, I think that this was included in my initial Email. strace produces no output. I have tried attaching to a running/hung one as well as running:
strace sh -c TEST=`uname -s`
Both produced nothing, I suspect that the hang is actually happening outside of the sh that I create in the latter.

Can you get a stack trace of the hang in gdb? Note: You may need a debug version of the cygwin1.dll or shell for this to be valid. I will provide the former if you are willing to test it.
Please provide along with instructions of what to do.

Also, Is this the only place for bug reporting for Cygwin? I can't find
any actual bug database like bugzilla to get this officially reported.

Yes. A bugzilla style database has been proposed, but we have not found anyone willing to maintain it yet. Want to volunteer?
I'll have to think about this one. I'd like to get involved in some open source projects, but I personally don't use Cygwin all that much. In fact it is pretty rare for me to use Windows so my overall interest in this project is more superficial than substantially personal.

-- Michael "Murph" Robbert System Administrator for Math/CS Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO 80401-1887 Office: GC249 Office phone: 303-273-3786 Pager: 303-461-6543 Email: mrobbert@mines.edu