Permissions problem on Win2K?

I have successfully downloaded and installed cygwin on a Win2000 machine. However when I run cygwin it is unable to create a home directory for me, and also unable to write any of the personalization files. Cygwin tries to create a subdirectory /cygdrive/z to store this information, but "mkdir" fails. On closer inspection, I discovered that (1) I have no write rights to the /cygdrive directory, and (2) no one seems to own it (owner and group id is just "0"). Usual commands for fixing these things ("chown," "chmod") do not have any effect.

Oddly enough within the /cygdrive directory are subdirectories representing other drives on my system, including a flash card. All those directories show either myself or the administrator as their owner, and I can read to and write from them.

Any help appreciated. I suspect a some kind of broken interaction between the Win2K security/authentication system and Cygwin, but can't figure out how to fix it. Note that the drive on which cygwin is installed is owned by me, and I have granted everyone all rights to it -- and these rights propagate to all children.

Thanks!

Mark B.