installing kinput2 and canna with cygwin

Dear Cygwin users,

I am trying to install kinput2 (Version 3.1) and canna (Version 3.6) in
order to input Japanese characters into XFIG, which runs on my copy of
Cygwin/XFree86 on a Windows XP PC. I downloaded both tar files from the
Debian web site and successfully installed and compiled both of them
through Cygwin. However, when I type "kinput2" in Cygwin to start the
program, I see a Windows (not Cygwin!) error stating that the
application could not be started because file libcanna16.dll could not
be found. However, I checked the files extracted from the canna tar file
and found that this dll file actually does exist. Adding the directory
in which this file was stored to the system environment variable PATH
did not help. Neither did making a soft link from the directory in which
kinput2.exe was stored to the file libcanna16.dll. Does anyone know how
to get kinput2 to see this file?

I apologize if this is an old question. I did check the web for
information, but most of it is in Japanese, which I haven't learned well
enough to read yet.

Yours truly,

John P. Sutter
Spring-8/JASRI
1 - 1 - 1 Kouto, Mikazuki-cho, Sayo-gun, Hyogo 679-5198
JAPAN
Tel: +81 791 58 0802 (x3105)
Fax: +81 791 58 1816