Re: Learning zsh

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, zzapper wrote:

> Hi
> If one chooses to use zsh rather than bash, do you have to rewrite all
> your scripts?. How steep is the learning curve??

While somethings are distinctly different between bash and zsh, and lot
of bash scripts will run under zsh.  But, why not use both?  I am an
advocate for zsh, being the Cygwin maintainer and all, but I've always
felt that you should use the right tool for the right job.  Choice of
shell is rather a personal thing.  Choose the shell which is right for
you and your usage.

Regarding the learning curve.  You can take most of your bash (or csh or
ksh) knowledge and apply it to zsh.  As I said, there are differences and
really the man/info pages are the best place to discover that.  The
Cygwin package comes with some sample source/profile files
(/usr/share/doc/zsh-4.1.1/StartupFiles/) which you can start with.  And,
I am happy to answer any questions you may have concering zsh.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>