Re: cygwin too slow

koorapati, koundinya wrote:
> In strace I'm not able to see
> which system call is eating up so much time as when I start a program say
> 'ls' with strace, I see nothing and only as ls begins to run after getting
> loaded, strace throws it's output.

He's sort of right in that often, there's a mysterious wait of a second
or two, even on a completely unloaded system, before the process starts
running.

I suspect it has something to do with our flaky network (we're in a
workgroup without a primary WINS server or a domain controller). Even if
there are no network drives in the path, I suspect that things like
looking up the local host name will also be slow if there are subtle
network problems like this, and can cause this delay on startup..