Re: wtfindex produces corrupt files on DOS mounts

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Vince Rice wrote:

> /home/vrice\> uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-5.0 SRS8100 1.5.5(0.94/3/2) 2003-09-20 16:31 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin
>
> /home/vrice\> which wtfindex
> /usr/bin/wtfindex
> /home/vrice\> ls -Fal /usr/bin/wtfindex.exe
> -rwxrwxrwx    1 vrice    Users       12800 Sep  4 11:12
> /usr/bin/wtfindex.exe*
>
> On DOS mounts, wtfindex produces a .dat file that causes coredumps in
> wtf.  I had edited my acronyms file, ran wtfindex, then wtf started
> coredumping.  I reinstalled wtf, then saved off the existing
> acronyms.dat, and ran wtfindex against acronyms without making any
> changes.  The resulting acronyms.dat differed from the original by
> thirteen bytes, and a comparison showed that where OD existed in the
> original, 0D0A existed in the newly generated one.  Switching to a
> Unix mount generated an identical file to the original, no coredumps.
>
> I think this is enough information that a cygcheck shouldn't be
> needed, but if you think otherwise just let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vince
>
> P.S. -- I'm one of the tens of thousands who have never had a
> problem, so I seldom have any reason to post.  So to offset the
> problem report, let me say that Cygwin is the best thing sinced
> sliced bread.  I've used it off and on since before B19 (and what a
> wonderful release THAT was! :) ), and it's been a huge productivity
> enhancer at several client sites.  Thanks to ALL the volunteers who
> make it possible.

Vince,

Thanks for the report.  It would have been great if you also specified the
version of wtf that you used.  However, I've just reproduced this with
wtf-0.0.4-4.  Expect a new release soon.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu