Cygwin cvs hang when used with PuTTY plink

I'm trying to use plink (release version 0.53b) and pageant along with Cygwin cvs 1.11.6 on windows 98SE. A commandline CVS command succeeds and displays the expected output, but then appears to hang. Nonetheless in fact the DOS window is in fact alive and listening to input, for new commands typed in are effective and the responses will appear if you type ^C.

Example:

D:\dev>cvs status README
File: README            Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.3
   Repository revision: 1.3     /mis/dev/README,v
   Sticky Tag:          (none)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)

... here the DOS window appears to hang. However if I now type "echo hello", after pressing ^C I get the following lines ...

D:\dev>echo hello
hello

If I use Cygwin ssh in place of plink this hang does not occur.
Also, Eclipse's CVS appears to work correctly with either plink or Cygwin ssh.

Hard to know if this is PuTTY, Cygwin, or something else. Thanks for any insight!

John.