Problem with a Cygwin App - Broken on a pristine system until I install Cygwin, cygwin1.dll doesn't seem to be enough

I have a program that I originally wrote on Linux, and compiled with cygwin
to make a Windows binary. The problem is that the Windows binary won't work
properly on a system that doesn't have cygwin installed on it. It seems to
not be using fread and fwrite correctly, or it's having some weird problem
with pointers that I can't figure out. The problem is that as SOON as I
install Cygwin onto a system, the executable works perfectly, even though I
don't change anything directly related to the program itself.

The program is using SDL, if that makes any difference, and cygwin1.dll is
the latest version in all my test cases. So far on every machine I've tried
it on this has been the case, where it won't work properly until I've
installed cygwin. What might cygwin be installing that suddenly lets the
program work right that I need to be distributing with my program besides cygwin1.dll?

=====
---
Benjamin Cutler
http://surf.to/rproductions/