Re: 1.5.1: can't open files beginning with "..."

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Rolf Campbell wrote:

> To make things even more interesting, it thinks that anything starting
> with '...' is a character device?
>
> /home/rcampbell> ll ..............
> crw-rw-rw-    1 rcampbel   0,   0 Oct 24 14:28 ..............
>
> /home/rcampbell> touch ...
> touch: creating `...': No such device or address

This does not work on Windows. Basically paths in windows
cannot end in row of dots. The dots are silently ignored.

> Chris Moore wrote:
> > I have a file on my PC called "...foo.txt".

This does work, but Cygwin's path handling code understands
only ".." and "." . If it get three dots in a raw and they
appear before the last '/' char, Cygwin returns ENOENT.

I looked in the code 2 months ago so I may miss some of
the details - please, correct me if I am wrong.

I found this in august and changed the code (normalize_posix_path)
to allow path components starting with multiple dots but I havent
sent the pathc since i had some doubts on how to implement
this properly for UNC paths - the path handling code is
the same. If someone is interested to look at it and discuss
I will be happy to send it.

Pavel