Re: little help with dll

Hallo jim,

Am Dienstag, 21. Oktober 2003 um 17:52 schriebst du:

> Hi -

> i'm a newbie trying to create a dll for cygwin with gcc mingw for swig so i
> can convert c++ into a tcl module.  $LIBS and $LIBPATH are 2 settings that i
> dont where/what to specify.

You want a DLL, so tell the linker the name of the DLL:
 '-o my_lib.dll'
you want the linker to find the symbols for the functions you're
using, so tell the linker in which path and in which library to find
it:
'-L/usr/local/lib -lz -lintl -liconv'

> is this quote true also?

> "Note that if you build your DLL as a Cygwin-linked DLL, you should really
> load it from a Cygwin-linked Tcl/Tk shell as well to avoid certain
> problems. If you're using Cygwin b20.x, it already comes with tclsh/wish
> etc, and it's a non-issue then."

I don't know if this is still true.

> below is documentation from swig tutorial to help clarify
> any input/examples and links you can provide to help me come up with a
> solution would be great.

[...]

The docs are ok.

You may want to try this linkline (from the Cygwin docs):

gcc -shared -o cyg${NAME}.dll -Wl,--out-implib=lib${NAME}.dll.a \
 -Wl,--export-all-symbols -Wl,--enable-auto-import -Wl,--whole-archive
 ${OBJECTS} -Wl,--no-whole-archive ${LIBSPATH} ${LIBS}

You'll get an importlibrary which is stored in the $LIBPATH and a DLL
which is used at runtime and needs to be somewhere in the $PATH.

HTH,
Gerrit
--
=^..^=