Re: ssmtp 2.38.7-4 reads headers from message body.

Corinna Vinschen" <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 04:46:13PM +0200, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen" <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > > On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 03:30:39PM +0200, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > [deleted]
> > [...]
> >  So I think that ssmtp is somewhat unique and somewhat 'broken'.
>
> I've took some time to investigate the situation and I have to say
> that I can't reproduce your effect.  I created an appropriate testfile
> from your template and regardless of having the file on a textmode
> mount or a binmode mount, regardless of the shell in which I call
> `ssmtp -t < file' and regardless if the file has LF or CRLF
> lineendings, ssmpt always got that right.  Especially I found that
> ssmtp already opens the file in textmode (yeah, I didn't remember) so
> the problem you found is even more weird.  Which means, I'll not
> change anything unless somebody (you?) can explain what *exactly* goes
> wrong.

  Thanks for your efforts.

  To be Frank :-), I am not aware that I have any special kind of
'mount'. I understand what you mean, but I have just a basic Cygwin
setup on my C: drive. The only related thing I can think of is that I
always specify "Default Text File Type" as "Unix" when I run Cygwin
Setup (I don't know what that does, but that is what I specify).

  In my normal setup, tin is invoked from a DOS Command Prompt window
(i.e. not from bash) and tin invokes ssmtp as indicated in my
'basenote'. However after your posting, I tried in a bash shell and can
also reproduce the problem there:

$ /usr/sbin/ssmtp -t <.letter.save
/usr/sbin/ssmtp: smtp server didn't accept RCPT To: command, replied
"450 <this@ddress.is.invalid>: Sender address rejected: Domain not
found".

franks@ipc1fs02 ~
$

  The this@ddress.is.invalid address is only in the body, so ssmtp
clearly gets the address from the body.

  To show that it is really the DOS-format which is the problem:

$ cat .letter.save | /usr/sbin/ssmtp -t
/usr/sbin/ssmtp: smtp server didn't accept RCPT To: command, replied
"450 <this@ddress.is.invalid>: Sender address rejected: Domain not
found".

  Using cat(1) and a pipe to show that the problem is not related to "<"
input redirection.

franks@ipc1fs02 ~
$ cat .letter.save | tr -d '\015' | /usr/sbin/ssmtp -t

franks@ipc1fs02 ~
$

  I.e. without \r (\015), ssmtp works correctly.

  Anything else you need?

  It would be interesting to hear if other people can reproduce my
problem.