Re: cygpath hangings: A fix - bash patch enclosed -- bash maintainer please note!

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 01:58:36AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 04:30:12PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I just managed to duplicate the problem on my system at work.
>>
>>Stay tuned.
>
>I managed to duplicate it at home by booting into W2K, too.  That meant
>I didn't have to feel guilty about working on this at work.  :-)
>
>This should fix the problem.  Bash wasn't closing the read end of a pipe
>in some situations.  I'm not sure why that would cause some programs to
>hang but the following patch fixes the problem.  I think it provides
>more robust code than what was in bash previously, too.
>
>Ronald, if you agree with this patch, could you release a new version of
>bash, ASAP?  If you don't agree with the patch, then please let me
>(aka the cygwin list) know soon since I'm going to be submitting it
>upstream ASAP.

I've put a patched version of bash up at:

ftp://sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/tmp/bash.exe

if anyone wants to try this.  It would be good to confirm or deny
that this fixes the problem for everyone.

Btw, maybe this has already been mentioned, but here is a simple
test script that demonstrates the problem when run from the console:

#!/bin/bash
exec 0<&-
A=$(cygpath -A -P)
echo $A

Save it as "hang" and run it as "bash hang" and it should hang nicely
with an unpatched bash.

cgf