Re: ssmtp 2.38.7-4 reads headers from message body.

Yesterday, I wrote:

>   Of course ssmtp should only use the From: line from the header, not
> from the body. Suppose the body contained for example "From:
> George.Bush@whitehouse.gov". We would not want the message to be sent
> with that From: line, do we? :-)
>
>   I did some more testing and found that ssmtp does apparently *not*
> use the To: line from the body. That would of course be even worse.

  Well, things *are* worse. Apparently ssmtp uses From: *and* To: from
the body, but just not the way I thought.

  I did another test with four addresses, From: and To: in the header
(FH and TH) and From: and To: in the body (FB and TB). ssmtp uses them
as follows (when using the "-t" option):

FH: OK, mail is sent with this From: address.
TH: OK, mail is sent to   this To:   address.

FB: Wrong, this address is set in a Return-Path: header (with uppercase
downcased).
TB: Wrong, mail is *also* sent to this address and shown in an
Apparently-To: header.

  I hope we all agree that processing FB and TB is totally wrong. The
body should not be interpreted in any way and mailing to TB is pretty
annoying and potentially dangerous and mailing with a Return-Path: set
to FB is misrepresenting the real sender.

  In hindsight, I probably agree with Felix van Hove that "-t" is not
supported, because while ssmtp does not complain about "-t", it says
this when using "-ba":

> /usr/sbin/ssmtp: -ba is not supported by sSMTP sendmail, nor is -t.

  OTOH, I also tried to use
"-F"Frank Slootweg" -ffranks_cygwin@yahoo.com franks_cygwin@yahoo.com"
instead of "-t". That works a little better because it does not send the
message to TB, but it still sets FB in a Return-Path: header, which is
really wrong.

  When using "-d9" (debugging) you can see that ssmtp says "Read
Header:" when reading the *body* (both with "-t" and with "-F... -f...
address").

  Does anybody have some other suggestions? Another tool which can do
the same job (i.e. read From:, To:, Subject: (and possibly Cc: and Bcc:)
only from the header part of the input file)?