Re: setup hangs during postinstall

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Brian Ford wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:24:53PM +0100, Steve Fairbairn wrote:
> > >As Brian has noted, Executing the binary with '< /dev/null' stops the
> > >hanging, but also executing it without capturing the output to a variable
> > >also stops the hanging.
> >
> > I would guess that something like
> >
> > foo=`bar`
> >
> > is what is causing the problem because this uses a pipe for
> > communication.  In a shell that is run from setup.exe, it is possible
> > that stdin is not opened at all and stdout is the pipe in question.
> > Maybe this is somehow confusing the SHF* function.
>
> Yes.  I thought this had always been clear.

I'd say it's confusing the DLL initialization sequence, as the function
doesn't even have to be called (see the simple hanging example in this
thread).

> Since this only happens in bash, and not in sh, I doubt that is the
> problem.  Are we looking at some kind of weird bash bug here?  We have
> almost eliminated most of Cygwin since MINGW SHLWAPI executables exhibit
> the problem.

Speaking of which, what's the version of SHLWAPI that hangs?  On my
machine (which doesn't exhibit the hang) I have

$ ls -l shlwapi.dll msvcrt.dll
-rwxrwxr-x+   1 Administ SYSTEM     300816 Oct 20  2000 shlwapi.dll
-rwxrwxr-x+   1 Administ SYSTEM     290869 Oct 30  2001 msvcrt.dll

The properties dialogs show the following versions:

File version: 5.50.4522.1800
Copyright: Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2000

File version: 6.1.9359.0
Copyright: Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-1999

I don't know if it'll help, but it might be worth a shot...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu