Re: setup hangs during postinstall

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Ok, so it is hanging in process initialization.  Since it is single
> threaded it can't be attached to.  I've run into this from time to time.
> It is really hard to debug.  Maybe adding a small_printf in init.cc will
> show what's going on.

Will try soon.

> Igor's theory about DLLs might also be the culprit here.  I wonder if
> the PATH is different when run via the desktop and a different version
> of MSVCRT.DLL is being pulled in or something.

I'll use his test program soon too, but...

> I know this is acting a lot but would you be willing to use the
> SysInternals "Process Explorer" process to see if you can see anything
> funny about the DLLs that are loaded in the hung cygpath?
>
> http://sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Always happy to learn about good tools. :)

> Or, actually anyone who's experiencing the problem could provide this
> info.  It would be interesting to see if the DLLs that a process are
> using look "funny" where "funny" would mean coming from a non system
> directory.

I don't think the DLLs are the issue, but maybe.

When using the tool above, and looking at process properties->threads for
cygpath, it shows two threads.  One's state is Wait:Executive, the
other's is Wait:UserInput (both in NTDLL.DLL).

Sure enough, changing my test to

#!/bin/bash

FOO=`cygpath -S < /dev/null`

does not hang.

I've seen behavior like this before with one of our apps all the way back
to pre 1.3.22 days, but I never got a chance to debug it.  We already
launched it from a script, and it required no user input, so I just did
the above.

I'll keep digging to see if I can figure out why it is looking for user
input.

BTW, when viewing cygpath's handles, I see two WinStation ones.  Just
wondering if that means anything given the recent xemacs issues.  I think
I have your patch for that in my Cygwin DLL, though.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer