Re: setup hangs during postinstall

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 01:13:33PM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>4) exec (stub) waits for execed program to say "I'm here".
>>
>I'm sure this is where it hangs.
>
>>So, for a brief time there are two processes attached to the same
>>pinfo.  The task manager (and maybe ps -W) will tell you the "real"
>>windows process that is running.
>>
>Found it with ps -W.  It still had a DOS style path in the command
>field and no PPID, etc.  yet.

Right.  That jives with your theory that the process is hanging prior
to cygwin initialization.

>Tried to attach gdb, but gdb just hung.  Still digging...  Boy, this is
>a difficult one to debug!

Ok, so it is hanging in process initialization.  Since it is single
threaded it can't be attached to.  I've run into this from time to time.
It is really hard to debug.  Maybe adding a small_printf in init.cc will
show what's going on.

Igor's theory about DLLs might also be the culprit here.  I wonder if
the PATH is different when run via the desktop and a different version
of MSVCRT.DLL is being pulled in or something.

I know this is acting a lot but would you be willing to use the
SysInternals "Process Explorer" process to see if you can see anything
funny about the DLLs that are loaded in the hung cygpath?

http://sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Or, actually anyone who's experiencing the problem could provide this
info.  It would be interesting to see if the DLLs that a process are
using look "funny" where "funny" would mean coming from a non system
directory.

cgf