Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

I am using windows 2000 professional. It has one
global account and 2
local accounts. Recently, I changed my global
account's password.
Since then, I am facing problem in running the
following commands in
cygwin:

$ mkgroup -d
NetGroupEnum() failed with 1326
$ mkpasswd -d
mkpasswd: [1326] Logon failure: unknown user name or
bad password.

It used to work properly before changing the password.
What is causing
this problem? I can access network computes.

thanks,
shimsha